Monday 7 April 2008

First Visit to the Common

A brief update on this evening. George and I visited the common not knowing what to expect and we met up with three really nice lads - there because they'd broken up from school and fancied hanging out in the fresh air, by a fire. The fire was well away from where it might cause damage, so that wasn't a problem. They had no drink with them. They promised to put the fire out when they left.

I told them that I had a wallet and USB drive that had both been dropped there previously. I said who they belonged to and they knew both of the lads that had lost these items. George let it be known that we are Christians and that we are concerned about the people who had been hanging out there.

It's not always easy to know what God has in mind. Maybe this was an easy way in for us. As George said, at least now "it's out there that we're around!" So although the evening didn't go quite as I'd envisaged, why should I be surprised? Isn't that what God does?

At Malcolm Ramsay's suggestion I spoke earlier with Phil Hazelden who has been working with underage drinkers for the past two years. For a while now his team of five has been thinking that it would be good if there were other groups similar to the one they have in Westfield, to deal with other parts of Woking. Phil would like us to meet and see what we can do together.

This sounds like a plan, and the thought occurred that perhaps anyone else who is interested in going out to meet similar young people might like to come along too. I think it's important to say that if anyone feels that it isn't for them having come along for a meeting with Phil's group, then that's fine. God has to be in the centre of this calling and if anyone doesn't feel Him tugging at their heart then He probably isn't - nothing wrong in that. Neither can this be a 5-minute wonder.

Equally, it's possible that there will be some people who will help on occasions and not on others. I don't think that's a problem so long as there is a heart for these young people. That said, Phil was saying that his team now has earned the trust of several young people. I would imagine that once this happens, it'll be the kind of encouragement that will make it hard not to return.

So, if meeting up with Phil's team is interesting then please let me know and I'll try to put some dates together.

God Bless and thanks for your prayers. George and I both really appreciated them.

No comments:

Post a Comment