Monday 7 April 2008

Anointing The Common - I believe God did this to give us encouragement. Other encouragements also.

1) Malc and I went out on Good Friday at 6am to anoint the common. You might not have been awake at 5am that morning, but the weather was dreadful. There was a howling wind and very heavy rain. BUT, I know that there had been prayers in support of the expedition. Malc arrived on my doorstep at 6 sharp. We drove down to the first site and as we opened our bible to Psalm 24 v1 and vv7-10, the rain stopped. We went for a walk onto that part of the common and then the wind dropped. Within 20 or 30 minutes the sky was blue. At around 8am we anointed the stone outside of The Plough in Horsell, another trouble hotspot, and as we got back into Malc's van the rain started again - just a short shower this time but God's point was well made. We were both deeply encouraged.

2) I had a lovely message from another church member, who had been praying with a friend about this project. When they were doing that they had an unusual experience involving a flame and God shared a curious word with her, 'lampstand'. as well as some straightforward words.

3) One of my colleagues found on the common a usb hard drive with someone's CV on it. Interestingly this was found adjacent to the area where there had been drinking and a fire. It belongs to a young man of 19. If he's one of the drinkers (which is likely), it might be interesting to talk to him. However, his address isn't, as I suspected, one that's in a deprived area. Far from it. I still have to work out in my mind what this means. The fact that he's from a relatively privileged background doesn't mean that his life isn't empty.


4) Two weeks ago I met with Natural England to discuss public access over common land, which is another way of saying that we were talking about management of dogs close to sensitive areas. I felt at that meeting as though I should be asking them about funding for education. I wasn't obedient and didn't ask. I was a coward. I didn't want to explain the background. I was therefore amazed yesterday when another trustee, (the chap who has applied for most of our funding such as Higher Level Stewardship grants, SANGs grants and so on) told me that another organisation had already applied for a grant on the Monument Road Common, which is specifically for young people, those with disadvantage, ethnic groups and so on. I've yet to establish how this might be used, but I'm hoping that if appropriate, it might help fund a later project to keep these young people engaged in something positive.

5) Following the Parish Week-End away, other people from the church expressed their interest in helping out on the common. Friday evening, George (who looked after our youth on the week-end) and I will meet on and talk about the way forward. Following that I think it likely that I'll contact the other people who kindly said they might be interested in coming along when we go out to the common.

6) On a practical note, I've checked with the Police and apparently a CRB certificate is needed by anyone who is likely to have contact with/work with young people. I have a certificate, somewhere, because of my involvement with SPLAT. However the implication is that anyone else who is interested in this work might also need one. Not sure. I'm trying to look into this.

I think that's it for now. Broadly speaking, I'd very much appreciate prayers in connection with the above. Giving thanks for the brilliant response to prayer and the clear weather; thanks too for the word, 'lampstand' and asking for the wider meaning of that; what, if anything, to do with the USB drive - apart from returning it, of course; whether the prospect of money from Natural England is worth pursuing for this specific project - would that glorify God, in other words? And finally, how best to move forward with those who have kindly offered to help, and with getting to grips with CRB etc. Also, what have I missed? Please do let me know if you think I'm hurtling up the wrong track, so to speak. I'm always keen to listen to advice, especially if God is inspiring it.


I'd just like to thank you all. I feel greatly supported; God has given me so much encouragement through you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment