Monday 7 April 2008

The First Prayer List

At the church week-end away God changed my life and my outlook. Very briefly, he gave me a very deep concern for young people who drink on Horsell Common. Not unreasonably I had before the week-end been bothered about the mess they were creating - broken glass, fires and the like. As Chairman of the charitable trust that owns and manages the common, these were issues that I couldn't let go without a response. BUT what for me started as a crusade to protect the common, instead at the church week-end turned into the realisation that the young people who are doing the damage are actually the ones who should be getting my attention. I believe that God wants me to go out onto the common and engage with them. At the week-end I mentioned what I believed God was asking of me, and this struck a chord with several other church members, some of whom offered to come out too. This, therefore, appears to be the beginning of a mission -to share the love of Jesus with young people some of whom are, possibly, quite empty and looking to fill that emptiness with rubbish.

Underneath is the first list of prayers that I aked for.

1) The safety of those going out
2) The open-heartedness of those we're going to talk to
3) The Holy Spirit's words at the appropriate time
4) That some or all of the kids may be open to know something of the love of God whether now or at a later time
5) That the kids may come to think about the damage they do to their environment
6) That there will be the opportunity for action once contact has been made - in other words, we go and talk to them, they listen, then what? I think thats the crucial part of this exercise and I/we really need God's hand in this, His guidance and His unique ability to smooth the way

No comments:

Post a Comment