Wednesday 30 July 2008

Strength in Weakness

..so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. - Isaiah 55:11

Personally I had a pretty bad day on Monday, my eyes were firmly fixed on me, I was tired and feeling a little bruised. I don't think I was the only one, others had come from long days in the heat, journeys back from holidays, nagging doubts about our ability or lack of likelihood that we would be used by God. What better place to be, these people full of weakness are those used by God, it is ALL in His strength.

John was not able to join us this evening, he was needed elsewhere, we were joined by Phil, Rob & Helen and of course family, Mary and her son Sam, Phil, Helen (Len) and Dave & Matt. Quite a team, there is a strong sense of family being built in this group not least because there are two physical families but also because we all feel united under Christ, marching out to The Vyne with a purpose, God's purpose, for which when he sends he will accomplish what he desires.

When we reached the rec there were four men playing a gaelic, hurling, throwing balls, large sticks, irish accents game in the middle of the field, not sure what the game is called, answers on a postcard. It felt like it was going to be an evening of prayer. We started to kick a ball about and then slowly in dribs and drabs young people started turning up and joining us until we had a game of football on our hands. One of the girls who came down had been to St Johns church earlier that day for Holiday Club, yep you guessed it, she was in Helen's group earlier and had not planned to come back on Tuesday, by the end of the evening she was booked up again! I couldn't help feeling that things that happen by God's will don't come back empty, nothing is wasted by him.

Another larger group turned up later in the evening, some flyers were found for the event in Knaphill in August on Friday nights all through August, should be grand nights any young people reading this. (we are on a small commission - only joking!!) Phil and Nen (Helen Coffee shop) went over to the larger group while the rest of us either coughed up a lung on the side of the now rather hot football pitch or talked to the youngsters we had already met. I saw the larger group and had real doubts about going over, not because of prompting, just fear. Eventually I plucked up the courage to go and join Phil and Nen, I was there for about 2 minutes and think they must have got a whiff of my O' De Bo De Football a short sharp cologne I had picked up not far from there!! I think it was a case of cramping their style a bit with these adults around, however we had made contact and this is where it all starts. Phil and I discussed our initial fears, thoughts of feeling like going over the top in the trenches (how much braver were those boys!) and how these small steps make great leaps forward into the future of God's plans.

God's word doesn't come back empty, we need to get it out there and watch it grow. I am so looking forward to next Monday....

For His Glory

George

==============================================================

Well, I wasn't able to make it out on Monday, but I joined Phil's group yesterday evening. This time there were just the three of us - Phil, Nick and me. Holidays starting, meetings and other stuff create shifts in the dynamics of these out-times, and each time this happens we learn something new about ourselves and about the way God works.

Yesterday evening was very similar to what George describes above. We prayed, drove down to the field (we usually walk so that we can visit houses on the way but this time there were too few of us to be on the field - where the kids expect us - and in the houses chatting), and arrived to find just three young people! One was a lad who I've described before. What comes out of his mouth is unadulterated stupidity. However, I've seen the way he is with the younger children and although he treats them roughly, he does so in a way that recognises their weaknesses. Holding a 7-year old upside down last night he says 'I'm not going to drop you on your head am I you *** ***'. As an adult it's hard not to intervene. What's interesting is that the small kids come back for more, and so far no bones have been broken.

I've reasons for believing that this lad is special and that God one day will use him powerfully. I hope that you will join me in praying with all your heart that this will be so. I've no idea how long it will take but I have a confidence that this will happen.

Anyway, we arrived and within 10 minutes there were enough kids for two sides in a football match. Phil and Nick ran themselves ragged, Nick was in goal, and I was a professional spectator praying on the side.

Phil displayed his leadership skills, stopping the match and calling time when one of the lads stopped playing so that he could complain he was on the 'wrong side'. In other words, although he was one of the best players on the field, he didn't like the rest of his team as much as he liked the players on the other team. He just stopped. Phil 'having a go' transformed the lad's attitude and his excellent playing transformed the play of the rest of his team too. Interesting... how like church is that! Sometimes it's good to call time-out and read the riot act. Life isn't comfy and perfect and sometimes we need to be challenged so that we take action ourselves, and in doing that inspire the confidence and will in others to step up to the mark.

Back at the ranch, (otherwise known as New Life Church), the three of us chatted and prayed. It's at these times of closeness that we discover how alike we are. Either God uses people with similar personality traits or almost everyone has the same issues in life. Doubt, a murky past, past failures, a feeling of inadequacy, currently poor earning power :o). The only difference between us and those who haven't yet found Christ is that they haven't yet found Christ. That feeling of purpose, being, confidence and love for one-another comes only from Him and is what we must share with others. As George says, 'it is ALL in His strength' - which is possibly why He uses us for the job - as His tools we're blunt, few in number, chipped and getting quite old :o) so when His plan works, it can only be down to Him.

Stay Blessed

John

No comments:

Post a Comment