Tuesday 22 July 2008

Monday and Tuesday

Many thanks to everyone who asked to be added to the blog's distribution list. I want to start this week by saying that I was touched by the comments that followed my chat on Sunday night. That said, I'd also like to say that today I've been reflecting on what, for me, was good about getting up and speaking. Having reflected, I've been left with some guilt because I enjoyed too much the round of applause and kind comments I got after doing a rap. I guess I enjoyed the feedback because that was the first time ever that I've been able to speak with any passion on any subject - and it felt good to have sparked any emotion in those who were listening. But there's a danger, isn't there, of not reflecting glory back to God when praise of that kind is received?


This work in Knaphill and Old Woking for me really is as much a journey of self-discovery as it is a journey of discovery about our Lord. I've found that just when I think I'm in the groove, the needle jumps out and I'm left having to fall back on Him. I think I know now a little of how Peter must have felt when the cock crowed. It's the realisation after an event that you've not properly honoured Him, that takes the wind out of your sails. Had it not been for going out yesterday evening and this evening, I would probably be feeling quite morose right now.

Anyway, enough of that. This week, the highlight on Monday was Helen's (Nen's)family turning out en-masse, with Nen walking and praying, Rob playing a massive game of football along with son, Matt, and Vicky bringing along her football-playing (currently trialling for Stoke) boyfriend - the appropriately named, Gazzer. On top of which Mary came with Sam. Mondays are turning into a real family affair and it's particularly heartwarming to see a loving Christian family moving out into a community that they've only recently moved to themselves.

This week we didn't have Len (formerly known as Helen) from St John's, Phil or George. So we went up to Alexandra Rec where we met our regulars - but they were just off to another party. So we wondered over to the other side of the field where there were another couple of groups and we had a great time.


Conversations were had - interesting chats where we learned that we have a number of people in common, and we started to realise what a small world this really is. The evening was gentle, the kids pleased to see us, and Rob demonstrated some footballing moves, the mental pictures of which have been indelibly imprinted in my mind for ever. My sporting skills were shown for what they are - completely non-existant. But the lads were really forgiving even after I'd let in my ninth goal.

Pray, please, for each of the Knaphill team. The Lord knows that a couple of our team are at points in their lives where potentially they will be hugely blessed. Please pray for His plans to reach fruition.


Tuesday - just back from another gentle evening, much of which was spent with a parent who has one of those lives that you couldn't make up. I'll simply ask for prayer for her - a softening of her heart, willingness to change, God moving in her life. George shared the Gospel with more kids, Phil, Nick and George played ball with a large number of them, again. Don't know where our lads' energy comes from. They're amazing. I spent a leisurely remainder of the evening dishing out drinks, and with Nancy chatting to some of the smaller kids.


The evening ended with another of those signposts. Walking back to the church we met a lad we'd earlier prayed to meet. Just like the one last week, this lad hasn't been around for several weeks. This is a lad whom Marcel gave a Bible some weeks ago. I've not really spoken to him before this evening but he struck me as someone with a gentle heart. He says he reads his Bible in his room most evenings, but I think he's actually quite keen to get instruction in it. It's one of those things - our team feels like it's being stretched - mainly because we can't be in several places at once. Please, pray for a strengthening of our team so that we can respond to requests like that. Either that, or that one of the churches sets up a Youth Alpha course, or something.


I tell you, when the weather is warm and the kids are happy - as they were again this evening - there is no time that I feel closer to God than I do when I'm out on the harvest fields in Old Woking and Knaphill. If God's laying something on your heart, then GO; ask questions later. Ready, Fire, Aim has been a motto I've lived by for many years. Life's more interesting that way, and it's great to be actively doing as the Lord asks - especially when He's actually holding the target.


Lots of love





John

No comments:

Post a Comment