Tuesday 31 March 2009

George's Email - haven't changed a word

Hi John, 
 
Got the urge to do some words for the blog if that is ok....
 
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. 
As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts - Isaiah 55 :8-9
 
You know those times when you have to cook something, you are really hungry and you fancy something really good to eat, however you are cooking for one and laziness wins the day and you end up cutting corners or ordering pizza. 
 
I think sometimes we are like that with the way we reach out to those around us. We really want the end result of a great meal, lots of people being saved, but do we really want to get all the utensils out, make the sacrifice of all that washing up, go out of our way to make that meal. 
 
Now lets imagine that we are cooking for someone we really love, we are besotted with them, in fact we cannot think of anyone else. We would do anything for this person, we get the best plates out, we put a table cloth on, we buy the best food, we spend a good few hours preparing it, a bottle of good wine, our teeth are brushed, we are excited and cannot wait to meet our love. 
 
You see that person is Christ isn't it? The person we love more than anything in the whole world? The one we go the extra mile for? Like that wonderful meal we cook, when it all happens it is no chore or hard work, it is a complete joy to do that for the one we love. Honestly, I think sometimes I give Jesus my leftovers, He knocks on the door and I tell him I forgot can we order a take away, do you mind I say? He says my ways are not like your ways...
 
Sorry, went into one there, the point I am making is this that God keeps pouring out his grace upon us. You don't have to step out and serve, you don't have to share the gospel, you don't have to cook the one you love a great meal, but when you love someone you want to don't you?
 
Outside Light tonight was one of those meals, God cooked for us tonight. He brought many ingredients together, they were expensive, he paid an enormous amount for them more than we can imagine. 
 
John set out our stall tonight, explained a bit about why we are doing what we are doing, who we are. There was so much respect in the room, they treat it as precious. Telling one another they cannot swear in here or behave badly (we've never said that). One chap has agreed to come to church on Sunday, another lad wants to meet up for a beer and talk. Another girl opened up and shared some of her hurts, another lad listened to the gospel being explained and took some information. John, Richard and George all got beaten at football, Helen almost broke the world record for Jenga height, Michelle won 4 sets of cards in a row. Isn't this what life is all about as a Christian, going out and speaking of Christ, sharing him, receiving from him. 
 
Just imagine if there was another group going out to an old folks home down the road doing the same, what if there was another group in the Working Mens club around the corner chatting and sharing, a Christian sat on the bench with the local outcast, another group popping into the shops and meeting.....................
 
I don't know what your thinking as you read this, maybe your thinking I am being self-indulgent, a dreamer, not in the real world. I don't know about you but I don't want to be in this world, my home isn't here, I want to kit out my future place with the best treasure in the whole universe - people. The reason I am going on is because it saddens me so much that there aren't more people coming outside of Church, we could reach more, we could reach so much more and our lives would be so much richer, vibrant, exciting. It is not our way, it is God's way and his way is so much higher than ours...will you cook a meal for Jesus this week?
 
Don't have to use this John? People are missing out though. 
 
Keep going, really want to share my testimony and gospel next week.
 
In Christ
George

For His Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment