Sunday 15 June 2008

Learning to Pray and Who Will Join Us?

Last week I shared with another of the Old Woking team that prayer can be an issue for me, particularly in groups. Very often I'm praying what I said only a few hours earlier to God, why would he want to hear that again? Am I praying for the benefit of those present so that they can hear how holy my prayers are, or is there a higher purpose? Too often I've concluded that I'd be praying for the wrong reasons, and so I haven't. However in today's Scripture Union Notes were these words... "We may think that the last thing God needs is to be reminded of what’s going on, or of promises he has made to us. But he loves it. True prayer sounds a lot like a child pestering a parent: ‘But you promised!’ " If those words are God-inspired, then again He's heard - even when we're not praying He's tuned in. He knows the problems, He knows our thoughts and what we say to others. But He loves us talking to Him.

It's Fathers' Day and therefore a reminder that whatever our age, even if our fathers aren't around any more, we were children once. If our father's are around still, they'll want to hear from us. If they're not around, most of us will be thinking of them. But for our Heavenly Father, every day is Father's Day, He likes to talk.

Tomorrow Helen, George, Phil and I are due to visit the rec by Alexandra Gardens again. This time we'll take food and drink and maybe a couple ideas for games, although games are an area in which I have little experience so I'm praying for divine inspiration :o) This, we feel, has the potential to be important work, but there are going to be occasions when Mondays simply aren't going to be possible to meet for one or more of us. Holidays, for example. Illnesses, maybe. Therefore over the next few weeks might be a good time, if you're of a similar heart for our young people and have been CRB checked, to step forward - please. I'm pretty confident that you'll be glad you did - and, remember, many hands (and God) make (Outside) Light work.

God bless

John

No comments:

Post a Comment